Job title: Johnson County Community College – Executive Vice President, Student Success & Engagement
Company: Academic Career & Executive Search
Job description: Description
Johnson County Community College
Executive Vice President, Student Success & Engagement
Academic Career & Executive Search is pleased to assist Johnson County Community College in its search for Executive Vice President of Student Success and Engagement.
For best consideration, please apply by July 22nd.
Johnson County Community College (JCCC), a successful community college serving a highly desirable area, offers a remarkable opportunity for a results-driven strategist and motivated change agent to serve in this critical role as a member of the President’s team. The next Executive Vice President of Student Success and Engagement (EVP) sets the direction for student success programs and activities that enhance opportunities for students to succeed campus wide. Reporting to the President, the next EVP is an outward facing, seasoned engagement leader that drives program development and student success throughout JCCC with a keen eye on retention and enrollment.
The EVP will be a proactive and collaborative partner with student affairs and academic affairs, leading all initiatives and strategic programming in a collective effort. An integral part of this role will be to develop, expand, and implement student success programming and services to improve student persistence, retention, and completion. The EVP spearheads the implementation of student development outreach to increase overall engagement, retention, and success programs across JCCC as well as leads the College’s enrollment management and retention initiatives.
The EVP oversees the coordination of programs, services, and experiences to support equitable student access, recruitment, retention, success, and completion. Other areas of responsibility include access services, admissions, athletics, career center, counseling, financial aid, records, student center, student life, and testing services. This position is also responsible for the supervision and leadership of employees, which includes making employment decisions and/or recommendations, and formally evaluating performance. Notably, all college DEI efforts will fall under this position’s jurisdiction.
- Leads and contributes to the overall success of JCCC with a strong emphasis on equitable student access, student enrollment, diversity, retention, student experience, student leadership, and student satisfaction.
- Provides leadership, motivates, encourages, and mentors the student success and engagement team to foster and sustain a culture for equitable student success.
- Collaborates with the President, Cabinet, and the enrollment management team to establish and manage enrollment strategies that result in enrollment and retention gains.
- Fosters a strong collaborative working environment with other departments including academic affairs and faculty.
- Leads the budget planning process for the Student Success and Engagement branch; ensures appropriate staffing and budget plans for excellence and consistency of services across JCCC.
- Strategically evaluates data to assess enrollment trends, key student success performance indicators and equity gaps for all students.
- Develops best practices to enhance the student experience and promotes student success and equitable outcomes.
- Leads and strategizes the development of ways to connect students to JCCC and provide them with the resources and services they need to be successful.
- Participates on behalf of JCCC in external community, state, and national organizations and associations.
- Participates in the JCCC’s strategic planning process and provides leadership for implementation of strategic planning goals related to student success.
- Oversees JCCC’s intercollegiate athletics programs.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- People Management – Identifies strengths and weaknesses, evaluates workloads, and splits tasks among team members accordingly; accurately identifies and responds to the expression of feelings to prevent conflict and accelerate relationships to assist employees to gain the psychological safety needed to thrive in the workplace; clearly defines subordinate roles and responsibilities; establishes common ground while also nurturing individual talents, meaningfully connecting teammates in ways that encourage further interaction; sets standards for communication and models those behaviors; leads by example.
- Operations Management – Directs and guides operations in alignment with the College’s overall mission and vision. Ensures the execution of efficient processes to maximize the College’s resources.
- Strategic Leadership – Balances the day-to-day with future plans; creates better processes and solutions and motivates others to do the same; creates teams that support strategic initiatives and propels them forward; effectively communicates strategies internally and externally; creates a culture to support strategies and provides mechanisms to implement them; fosters buy-in and enthusiasm with employees.
- Master’s degree in Student Services, Higher Education Administration, or other relevant field of study.
- 10 years of progressively responsible experience in higher education and student affairs administration.
- Proven success with enrollment management, student retention strategies, and student development.
- Demonstrated experience with collaborative projects between student success and academic programs and demonstrated ability to develop and use data-analytics to make strategic decisions and improve outcomes.
- Doctoral degree in Student Services, Higher Education Administration, or similar field
- Experience at a community college
About the Institution
Located in Overland Park, Ks., a suburb of Kansas City, Mo, JCCC has enjoyed a national reputation for educational excellence and student success for more than 50 years. That’s five decades dedicated to smaller class sizes, more resources, and a thriving campus culture – not to mention competitive tuition rates and extracurricular experiences that transcend the norm.
At JCCC, community is core to our mission. We know that learning strengthens communities, and we are committed to doing just that. Events and activities, youth programs, and arts and culture are just a few of the ways we serve our students and everyone who calls Johnson County home.
A recent survey conducted by the Overland Park Chamber of Commerce Foundation confirms our strong local reputation. When asked whether they had a favorable or unfavorable impression of JCCC, 93% of both voters and businesses said “favorable,” and 68% of voters said, “strongly favorable.”
We’re proud to be part of the Johnson County, Ks., community and honored that our neighbors in Overland Park, Ks., recognize our commitment to excellence.
All of this and more allows us to create one-of-a-kind experiences that put our students’ tomorrows within reach.
JCCC inspires learning to transform lives and strengthen communities.
JCCC will be an innovative leader in equitable student access, learning and success.
- Student-Centered – We promote an environment that shows the deepest care and support for the learning and growth of our students.
- Teaching and Learning – We believe life-long learning is central to enriching the lives of our students, faculty, staff, and community for success in a global society.
- Community Engagement – We value our role as the community’s college and commit ourselves to partnerships that respond to the changing needs of those we serve.
- Innovation – We foster an environment of excellence by intentionally seeking new and creative ways to meet the needs of our students, colleagues, and community.
- Belonging – We value diversity, equity, and inclusion, creating a collaborative and respectful environment where all are connected to our mission.
- Integrity – We hold ourselves accountable for our decisions and actions.
Living in the Area
With a population of nearly 200,000, Overland Park is perfect for those looking for a city lifestyle with a small-town feel. Located just 20 minutes from Kansas City, Overland Park is the definition of a family-friendly town with sites like the Deanna Rose Children’s Farmstead, Museum at Prairiefire, the Arboretum and Botanical Gardens, and Cider Hill Family Orchard. As a suburb of Kansas City, Overland Park is part of the Kansas City metropolitan area and borders other communities on all sides. Moreover, Overland Park came in at no. 7 on Money’s list of the 50 Best Places to Live in the U.S. in 2021-2022. It is the only city in the Kansas City area, and the only city in Kansas, to make the list. With a low crime rate and excellent schools, Overland Park remains a nationally recognized city.
For best consideration, please apply by July 22nd.
Please do not email applications.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received and should include a cover letter and curriculum vita. All applications are treated confidentially.
Inquiries, referrals, and nominations are treated confidentially:
Inquiries and questions: Please send to
Nominations and referrals: Please send to
Institution’s EEO Statement
JCCC is dedicated to providing equal opportunities and equal access to all individuals and is an affirmative action employer. JCCC does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, national origin, disability, age, religion, marital status, parental status, military status, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or other factors that cannot be lawfully considered in its programs and activities, which includes employment and admissions, in accordance with Titles VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Equal Pay Act of 1963, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, Executive Order 11246, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 503 and 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Vietnam Era Veteran’s Readjustment Assistance Act, the Jobs for Veterans Act of 2002, the Kansas Acts Against Discrimination and all other applicable civil rights and nondiscrimination laws.
Location: Overland Park, KS – Kansas City, MO
Job date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 23:58:35 GMT